SUSTAINABILITY & CLIMATE CHANGE
Save the Planet
This major aims to equip students with the necessary knowledge and skills to identify, quantify, and communicate an organization’s impact on as well as from climate change, and drive change toward more sustainable organizational practices. The Program follows a strong interdisciplinary approach and covers the scientific, technological, psychological, business, and policy aspects of climate change.
Students will gain understanding of the science of climate change and how nature and human activity interact. The current technological know-how to mitigate and adapt to the effects of climate change is covered with an emphasis on practical implementation and feasibility. The history and rapidly evolving policy landscape in the climate change and sustainability arena are studied from both local and global perspectives. Students will learn how attitudes toward climate change form and evolve in society, and how these attitudes, in turn, affect business strategy and performance. Students will acquire skills to identify areas for improvement within organizations and to develop effective strategies to achieve such improvements through quantitative and qualitative research methods.
This major offers students the opportunity to enter one of the most rapidly growing fields – sustainability – and to learn the best practices and innovations for navigating one of the biggest challenges that humanity is facing. Graduating students will be well-equipped to develop and lead sustainability initiatives within organizations.
Required and Elective Courses
required for major
electives towards the major
NewU Students majoring in Sustainability & Climate Change will graduate being able to:
- Attain knowledge and understanding of the scientific evidence for climate change
- Learn to apply methods for forecasting the impact of climate change using scenario analysis
- Be able to measure the environmental impact of an organization
- Understand the factors that shape attitude toward climate change in society
- Learn how to navigate the changing societal preferences for sustainability and understand their implications for organizations
- Learn how to drive change toward greater sustainability in organizations
- Learn how green and sustainable finance shape investment decisions
- Understand the global regulatory landscape with respect to climate change
- Learn how to deal with the uncertainty inherent in climate change and prepare organizations accordingly
- Learn how technology and innovation can be used to tackle the challenges of climate change
- Acquire skills to collect and analyze data to successfully implement environmental, social, and governance (ESG) initiatives in organizations